In the 1936 Commander Rupert Long, OBE,RAN, Director of the Naval Intelligence raised with retired Captain Maurice
Blackwood, DSO, RN the possibility of raising a group of trained yachtsmen as a Naval Auxiliary Service. Discussions
were held with HWG Nobbs and W Giles, both Sydney yachtsmen and a proposal sent to the Australian Commonwealth
Naval Board that a Volunteer Coastal Patrol be establish under the command of Captain Blackwood. The Naval Board
supported this and on the 27th of March 1937 the Volunteer Coastal Patrol was established under the command of
Captain Blackwood, DSO, RN (rtd) With H.W.G Nobbs as Staff Officer Operations and W Giles as Staff Officer Administration.
During WWII Coastal Patrol member’s special constables and guarded commercial wharves, oil installations and bridges
additional divisions were quickly formed in various ports of NSW and Victoria and by December 1940, the Patrol
had some of 500 vessels and 2,000 members on its register. Captain Blackwood resigned to take up the post of Commodore
of Convoys and died while on convoy duty. HWG Nobbs was appointed his successor in 1941, acknowledging its indebtedness;
the NSW government awarded the Coastal Patrol the authority of a State Department. The first and until recent years
the only organisation ever to have received such an honour the Victoria and the South Australia governments later
followed suit and granted Coastal Patrol the Blue Ensigns of their respective states.
By WWII ended, Coastal Patrol vessels had patrolled 128,000miles of harbour and coastal waters and donated 393,000
man hours of unpaid war service The Water Police awarded a special commissioned pennant to the Coastal Patrol in
recognition of this service. This pennant, in diagonal cantons, bears the word “Nemesis” Members craft now fly
this pennant at the yardarm to signify that they are vessels of the Coastal Patrol, ready and willing to give help
whenever it is required. Post war development saw the Coastal Patrol undertake civilian search and rescue operations
as their primary role but maintain their original RAN inspired organisation structure, ranks and uniform. 1955
saw the patrol become as incorporated compony and the articles of association written.
In 1970, HWG Nobbs, one of the founders and former commanding officer, was awarded the MBE in the Queen’s Honours
and later in 1974, Her Majesty the Queen granted the Coastal Patrol the privilege of adding the “royal” prefix
to its title when it became the Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol.
In South Australia.
The Formation of the Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol started in 1984 with Captain Frank Johns approached Charles
Cornish and David Mumford, to work out the Constitution for South Australia. In the same year David Mumford started
the Coastal Patrol in Port Victoria in 1985 the Coastal Patrol was incorporated into South Australia. On the 25th
of may 1986 Sue Mumford purchased a 6.8m Voyager Vessel, (patrol 5) and was on loan to the Coastal Patrol for Rescue
and training operations. This vessel was the full time rescue vessel on the Yorke Peninsula and still in use today.
From there the network has expanded and the group now has Radio Bases at (Point Souttar-Yorketown), Port Victoria,
Corny Point, Port Moorowie, Marion Bay and Back-up Bases at Point Turton,Urania, Port Victoria, Port Gilbert And
also 3 mobile radio bases, one being a quick response vehicle in Yorketown And 2 vans one at Point Turton the other
being in Port Victoria.
The Coastal Patrol owns 3 rescue craft 2 are based at Pt.Victoria & one at Point Turton with members own boats
located around the coast for rescue work,
The coverage area for the group on Yorke Peninsula extends from Cape Elizabeth in the North, South around the coast
to Port Moorowie, A distance of approximately 250Km.
(In other areas of South Australia please call either the Coast Guard radio bases or S.A. Sea
Over the years the Coastal Patrol has been involved in a number of events such as YP sail boarding Club, The Adelaide
Boat Show (1985 - 1991), Port Vincent Classic, Maitland and Minlaton Shows, Blue water Classic (Adelaide - Port
Lincoln), Spooner Cup Wooden Boat Club and Greek Night's.
Our annual fund raiser for the year is the fishing Competition on Easter Saturday at Port Victoria.
In 1987 the Coastal Patrol won The NSW Water Police Trophy for the Most Improves Rescue Vessel. This was the first
time this award had been won outside of NSW. In 1999 the Coastal Patrol received a grant from the government to
purchase a 1997 Toyota Troop Carrier for the towing of Patrol 5. In 2003 the Patrol received another grant to purchase
a 7.4m Clayton (Patrol 6) with a 230 Volvo Penta and a year later in 2004 the Patrol received $37,000 to build
a 75ft x 40ft shed to house the new Patrol 6 and Patrol 5. In 2009 Alpha Industries erected a 40ft extension on
the southern end of the shed, as part donation received for numerous rescues over the years.
In 2011 the Coastal Patrol purchased a 7.1m Huntsman (Patrol 109), which is based at Point Turton.
The Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol is also available at the Police request to attend any search and rescue on the
Below are some older photos from the South Australian Division